1885 The City of Helsinki’s art collection is started. The City Council accepts a memorial statue of poet Johan Ludvig Runeberg, sculpted by Walter Runeberg.
1954 Establishment of the Fine Arts Committee, operating under the City Board and consisting of trustees as well as artists.
1966 The City Executive Office hires an Art Secretary, who works as intendant of Kluuvi Gallery and caretaker of the city’s art collection, among other tasks.
1967 The City of Helsinki purchases Meilahti Manor, meaning the buildings of the Villa Bredablick parent property, and it is decided that the stone building will be reserved for use as an art museum. The Fine Arts Committee proposes that an art centre be designed in its place instead.
1968 Kluuvi Gallery opens on Unioninkatu.
1972 The City Council decides to accept the Bäcksbacka donation. The renovation of the old stone building of Meilahti Manor is completed and the building is opened to the public.
1973 Plans for the construction of a museum in Meilahti were initiated so that the city would have appropriate exhibition facilities for displaying the collection donated by Bäcksbacka.
1975 The construction of the Meilahti museum begins.
1976 The transfer of the Bäcksbacka collection to the city is completed with the opening of Art Museum Meilahti.
1979 The city’s art collection is incorporated into the Cultural Affairs Centre and the name of the art collections is changed to the City Art Museum.
1985 The stone building of Meilahti Manor is renovated to serve as a conservation facility.
1998 The Art Museum begins operation as an independent city department.
1999 New exhibition facilities are opened in Tennis Palace.
1999 Renovation of Kluuvi Gallery completed.
2012 Operation in the Meilahti museum building ends.
2015 Operation of Kluuvi Gallery on Unioninkatu ends.
2015 25 September the refurbished HAM opens in Tennis Palace.